Saturday, March 16, 2013

Raising a toddler and preschooler is like raising Jekyll and Hyde

I pretty much have a love/hate relationship with the current phase my 2 and 3 year old are in. I hate that they fight over EVERYTHING. I want that, I had that, don't touch that, Morgan's hitting me, Maddie's kicking me, blah blah blah.

When Morgan doesn't want to eat something or she's had enough of something...on the floor it goes. And it's not like she just drops it right below where she's sitting, it ends up halfway across the room in all of .2 seconds. She's obsessed with dumping liquid anything on to whatever she can. I'm still not sure if it's because she's a little scientist and likes experimenting, or if it's because she enjoys seeing her mom lunge across the room in one leap while screaming like a lunatic. 

She throws a tantrum like it's her job if she doesn't get what she wants, and she is super gifted at turning the waterworks on at the drop of a hat. She screams and cries so loud during bath time you would think that I am ripping a limb off, and purposely does exactly what you tell her NOT to do. She practically lives on timeout, and still doesn't get the fact that crayons and markers are for coloring on paper and not carpets, furniture, herself, or her brother. She rips, shreds, and trashes whatever she can get her hands on, and thinks it's awesome.

Maddie's past everything that Morgan is still doing, other than her ability to turn the waterworks on on command. They are both extremely good in that department. However, Maddie does have a problem speaking for EVERYONE. I can't ask Morgan a question without Maddie answering. And if you tell her not to, get ready for a meltdown worthy of an Oscar.

Reading a bedtime story? Forget about it. It turns into the battle of the century nightly. No I want to read this book, let me turn the page, I want to sit there, stop touching me,...you get the picture. She's started growling when she doesn't get her way, and is on timeout whenever Morgan isn't sitting there. We have entered the talking back phase, and her attitude seems to get snottier and snottier with each passing day. She is quite the little smart ass already. (My husband is terrified of what our house is going to be like when we are all on the same menstrual cycle)

Even though all of that drives me bonkers during the day, they still manage to melt my heart more often than not. Morgan loves making food from her kitchen set, and serves me meals no matter where I am. She's always saying "Mommy...I love you too" even when I haven't said it first. She loves making her brother laugh, and will do whatever it takes to get the job done. Seeing how excited she gets when she answers a question right makes me smile from ear to ear. (That's only when she's able to beat Maddie to the punch) She's always dancing and will command that whoever is in her presence at that time has to dance too. No exceptions. She has started telling jokes, and always has an endless supply of energy. She buzzes around our house like a busy little bee on a mission, and watching her imagination unfold is awesome. She is super creative, and so smart!

If someone is crying both girls will flock to you genuinely concerned, and will heal all wounds with a kiss and a hug. Maddie is the most compassionate person I know, and is always on a hunt to make someone feel good. 

A disagreement is easily diffused by simply asking someone to go make my bed, fill up the dog's food bowl, help with laundry, or do dishes. (I don't want that one to EVER end!!) They truly enjoy making people happy, and they live for seeing the pure delight on your face when you praise them for doing something good. They LOVE playing dress up, and seeing some of the crazy outfits they come out wearing is absolutely hilarious. When they aren't at each other's throats, they are the best of friends and are always looking out for one another.

They are always making me laugh even when I just want to scream. I truly enjoy seeing all 3 of their personalities develop right in front of me, and couldn't be more proud that those are my kids.

No comments: