Saturday, April 13, 2013

Even when I think I can't...I know I can

I have had one heck of a month, with these last 2 weeks being extra insane. My 9 month old son had to under go surgery last month (which went amazingly well! He is quite the trooper!). That alone made me a basket case, but in addition to that I had oodles and oodles of homework, tests and exams for school, we put our house up for sale and have had to juggle phone calls and showings, and 2 out of my 3 kids have taken turns being sick for the last 2 weeks straight. I have never cleaned up more poop or puke in my life. I swear every time they move something is squirting out from somewhere. It's horrible.

On top of all of that, my husband had to go in yesterday for further testing on a lump they found in his armpit. He has already had skin cancer below his eye that was surgically removed less than a year ago, so we were a little on edge about these recent findings. Luckily God has looked out for our family once again, and it turned out not to be cancerous. He was scheduled to go out of town on a fishing trip with his father, and postponed it until we knew what was going on. After we got the news, his trip was back on. THEN, our son spiked another high fever and started vomiting....again. Awesome. I felt that it was a sign telling him not to go on his trip. After that, our almost 16 year old dog ran away. Yes, ran away. He can hardly move, and is on his death bed, but still managed to escape from our garage. Another sign? I thought so. 

We frantically searched for 2.5 hours, and finally found him. I was sure that my husband was going to stay home due to our extremely eventful and exhausting day...but to my surprise he packed the car and was out the door faster than lightening. I know how much he really enjoys this annual trip with his dad, and how excited his dad gets, but being a little selfish, I was upset that he left me high and dry with sick kids. The icing on the cake is that the cabin they go to his so high in the mountains that there is no cell phone service. Even better right? 

After a very difficult bedtime routine due to sickness, I finally got the last of the kids to sleep by 10pm. 2 hours after normal bedtime. I just sat down to do some homework, when the baby woke up with another fever and vomiting. This continued 8 more times throughout the night. The last time I got puked on, I broke down in tears. I took my vomit covered clothes off, climbed back in bed, and cried myself to sleep.

I got a total of maybe 3 hours of shuteye, resulting in having a short fuse all morning with my older 2 kids. They have been on timeout more today than any other day. I don't know if they are deliberately being bad, or if I just feel like that because I'm so physically and mentally drained. Either way, it's been exhausting.

At one point, my 3 year old was on timeout for climbing into the bathtub in her swimsuit, turning the water on (right after I told her not too), and splashing it all over the place because "she wanted to pretend she was at a water park!". While crying sitting on the timeout mat, my 2 year old walked up to her, squatted down to her level, and said "STRAIGHTEN UP" right in her face before strutting past her and playing with all of her favorite toys. Nap time can't come soon enough, and I'm hoping we all can start on a new page when we get up. Myself included. Come on Sunday!!

No comments: