Wednesday, February 20, 2013

My Little Sponges

I feel I am like most moms out there. I try to juggle a million and one things simultaneously and have days when I am so consumed with the normal routine of our day that I don't really let myself absorb all of the new things that my kids are doing, trying, learning, and saying. I guess it's not that I don't let myself it's more that I go through some days with blinders on and robotically do what needs to be done without really thinking about it.

Yesterday was one of those days when I had my blinders off. I heard every little conversation my girls had with one another. Some made me laugh, some made me cringe, and one resulted in me bolting into the room to put a stop to my 2 year old trying to eat my 3 year old's tongue. (I have no idea how that even came about, but I had to put a stop to it. I couldn't have her going out in public thinking it was OK to try and eat people's tongues!!!)

I also got a taste of what I sound like to my kids. I know that all kids are little sponges, but I sometimes forget just how absorbent they really are. I ran into Kohl's yesterday with all 3 kids forgetting that they don't have shopping carts that are big enough to at least hold a car seat, and kid #2. I ended up walking around the store with the travel system stroller calling for the other 2 kids every 30 seconds. They were in clothes racks, climbing on shelves, looking up dresses that are on manicheans (and hiding under them), putting on jewelry, and running from me like I was the boogieman. I had enough. I grabbed 2 random shirts (just enough to use up the gift card that expired that day) and we got the heck out of there. As I was loading the girls into the car Maddie said "We were so good in there Mom." I looked at her as if she was insane, and then continued strapping them in as I mumbled under my breath "You guys acted like a bunch of idiots." Probably something I should not have said, but it just slipped out. At least I mumbled it. I finished loading up everything else, and hopped in the driver's seat. As soon as I sat down I heard the girls singing "bunch of idiots, bunch of idiots...you all are a bunch of idiots!" Gah. I REALLY shouldn't have said that. That's my mommy blunder for the day.

After we got home Maddie was helping me take care of Dex. She kept saying Hello handsome, you are so cute mister, ah stinky buns don't do that!, awwwe you're a little giggly buns aren't you?!? It was so cute hearing her talk to him the way I do. She's at that phase where she likes to act like a mom to all of her stuffed animals too, so that made it extra cute.

Then we come to Morgan. I was getting afternoon snack for both girls. As I was lecturing Morgan about holding her cup of cheerios upright, and keeping them in the cup instead of all over the floor and furniture (like she ALWAYS does)....I knocked the cup over myself. Cheerios flew all over my kitchen. I put my head down in shame as I moped over to get the broom when she said "Moooom!....are you serwious?!?" That's pretty much the one line I say whenever someone does something I just got done telling them not to do. Right back in my face. Awesome.

I sat there for the rest of the day watching and listening to everything they did and said. It was like watching a movie! I've come to the conclusion that 1) I am hilarious and 2) I should probably filter myself a little bit more. There are some things that I didn't even realize I say, but my kids have showed me that I definitely do.

No comments: